Saturday, October 1, 2011

Harry Potter inspired by Star Wars?

Harry Potter inspired by Star Wars?
 So I’ve been sick lately & out of boredom I decided to watch the original Star Wars trilogy, & I couldn’t help but notice some similarities between my childhood favorite and my obsession for the last eight years (HP, of course). Let’s take a look, shall we?

Harry Potter/Luke Skywalker - Both orphans whose fathers were betrayed by a friend & consequently murdered (never mind that the “friend” who betrayed Luke’s dad was, well, Luke’s dad); raised by an aunt & uncle; both possess a special “talent” that their uncles tried to hide out of fear that they’d follow in their fathers' footsteps; both mild-mannered heroes with a sense of modesty; both go on to marry fiery redheads (at least, if you count the “extended universe” Star Wars novels to be canon).

Ron Weasley/Han Solo - Both have a sarcastic sense of humor that conceals a fierce sense of loyalty and a heart of gold. And, hello? Their names rhyme - Han & Ron.

Hermione Granger/Princess Leia - Both feisty, quick-witted, passionate brunettes who like to fight for what’s right. (Hermione joined the Horcrux hunt at great personal risk to fight against oppression & ended up tortured under Voldemort’s regime. Leia joined the Rebel Alliance at great personal risk to fight against oppression & ended up tortured under Vader’s regime.)

Han/Leia, Ron/Hermione - Both couples are seeming opposites who constantly bicker, who then become lovers & end up married with kids (again, if you count the “extended universe” Star Wars novels as canon).

Luke/Leia, Harry/Hermione - The former pair are actual biological brother & sister, separated at birth; the latter pair are LIKE brother & sister, according to Harry himself.

And if that’s not enough, how’s this to convince you? - Lord Vader/Lord Voldemort; wands & magic/lightsabers & the Force; and Dumbledore is like Obi-Wan Kenobi & Yoda all rolled into one!
I suppose we should all just be thankful that it didn’t turn out that Voldemort is Harry’s father, & Hermione is his secret twin sister who was hidden at birth!

“Either I’m gonna kill ‘er or I’m beginning to like ‘er!”
-Han, about Leia, Star Wars

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm a new fan - I just finished reading your Ron/Hermione fiction called Skimming Stones and Skinny Dipping and was BLOWN AWAY. Now I'm here cause I just need more of your fabulous thoughts. I think the whole Harry Potter/Star Wars thing is a little insane (because I'm in denial) but maybe JKRowling was hooked on those movies?

    Also, have you ever read anything from mugglemama on fan fiction.net? I love her writings - I think they're extraordinary. But you're certainly my new favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true. Huge fan of both. Have you seen that pic of Farther Vader reading Harry Potter Deathly Hallows? It's way cool. By the way love your stories about Ron and Hermione. My fave being Hollowed Hearts. Sorry if I misspelled. Thank you for your awesome stories. I'm a fan of yours too. :)

    ReplyDelete