Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Rant of the Day: Writers who start multiple multi-chaptered fics

Why is it that some fanfiction authors start new fanfics when they already have a couple in the works? I mean, writing the occasional oneshot during the course of a multi-chaptered story, or even starting a SECOND multi-chaptered story, isn’t so bad, but any more than that & I start to wonder if you have ADD & can’t stick with an idea. After all, it’s difficult for most writers to commit to just one WIP & see it through to completion, so if I see that an author has more than one or two WIPs out at a time, quite frankly I’m going to question whether or not you’ll burn yourself out and not complete ANY of your fics.

Don’t get me wrong, I often have multiple ideas jump into my head at once, but I’m disciplined enough to only concentrate on an idea or two at a time rather than attempting to commit to multiple ideas at once.

C’mon, authors, let’s not set ourselves up for failure - not to mention make your readers wait an absurd amount of time between updates because you’ve decided you just HAVE to write multiple stories.

-Kari

No comments:

Post a Comment