Thursday, November 17, 2011

Fanfiction recommendation: "One More Time" by veritaserumkills, rated M for sexual content, Ron/Hermione (and sort of Charlie/Hermione), angst/romance, incomplete (currently 10 chapters posted), listed under my faves.

The following recommendation was originally posted in the author's note of Chapter 24 of my fic, Coming to Term:

Fanfic Pic: "One More Time" by veritaserumkills, rated M for sexual content, Ron/Hermione (and sort of Charlie/Hermione), angst/romance, incomplete (currently 10 chapters posted), listed under my faves.

Author's story summary: Hermione tried accepting Ron's death. She even married Charlie. When she finds she may not have to, will she risk her marriage and repeating a horrible branch of history to be with Ron, or accept it and move on? Post DH. Full summary inside, kinda AU?

While the author definitely has her critics for having Hermione marry Charlie several years after Ron's supposed death, I'm personally enjoying this story thoroughly. I've gotta admit that I'm torn on some of the plot devices, such as Hermione cheating on her husband with Ron (even if it IS Ron, her true soul mate, I have trouble stomaching infidelity). Even though I'm rooting for Ron & Hermione, I'm not looking forward to poor Charlie inevitably getting his heart broken!

Nevertheless, this story is well-written, it has an interesting plot, and I find myself looking forward to its updates more than any other story I'm currently following, with the exceptions of, perhaps, "Almost Everything I Wish I'd Said" by hey-torch & "With Me" by TMBlue (the latter of which I'm expecting an update sometime in the next…well, never, lol). Oh, and don't tell anyone, but I actually cried during the first several chapters of this story (something I rarely do!).

Happy reading, writing, & reviewing!

-Kari

EDIT: The above review referred to the first 10 chapters only.  Currently, although this story remains one of my favorites, I am not pleased with the manner in which the author has chosen to have Hermione handle her "break-up" with her husband; Hermione actually comes off as a bit heartless, and the newly reunited couple have no qualms about flaunting their relationship in front of his parents.  Likewise, Molly and Arthur don't seem to have too much of a problem with the fact that Ron effectively ruined Charlie's marriage.  On the one hand, I understand that they're just happy to have him back alive, but the story would have worked better for me personally if the author had chosen to just have Hermione & Charlie merely dating, rather than being an actual married couple since the author hasn't adequately handled the emotional strife that should have been involved.  Anyway, that's just my opinion on the matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment