Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Fanfiction rec: "The Unwinding of Percy Weasley" by JustAudrey07, Percy/Audrey, rated T, complete

The following review was originally posted in my author's notes of Chapter 20 of my fic "Coming to Term":

Fanfic Pic: "The Unwinding of Percy Weasley" by JustAudrey07, rated T for language, some violence, & non-graphic sexual content, Percy/Audrey, romance/drama, completed, listed under my favorites.
I first fell in love with JustAudrey07's writing & storytelling prowess when I was rec'ed her Draco/Astoria fic, "Dirty Little Secret," by one of my own readers. Like wonderTWINpowersACTIVATE, JustAudrey07 is one of the rarest, most natural talents I've stumbled upon on this site. After reading all the posted chapters of DLS, I'd been meaning to check out the author's other posted works, and I am so thankful that I finally got around to it.

As the title suggests, "The Unwinding of Percy Weasley" is the story about how Percy meets and falls for his wife, Audrey. Believe me, I know what you're thinking: "A story about Percy? Sounds so…blah!" And also believe me when I say that if this story had been written by anyone other than JustAudrey07 I probably wouldn't have given it a chance, but it was, hands-down, the best fic I've read in…well, possibly the best fic I've read, period. Like in DLS with the character of Astoria, the author creates an unforgettable character in Audrey (who is, amazingly, so different from Astoria!) and weaves an intricate, well-thought-out storyline with just the right amount of angst, drama, romance, and humor.

The author's grammar/punctuation isn't always perfect, and, like in DLS, I noticed numerous incorrect word usages, such as "defiantly" rather than "definitely," "than" rather than "then" and vice versa, and even "foreword" rather than "forward." Also, the writing is notably…American. I'm American myself, and I'm certainly not claiming to be some sort of expert on British slang/terminologies, but I couldn't help but notice that the author uses the American "mom" rather than the British "mum" and numerous other blatant "Americanisms."

However, considering the over-all quality of the writing, those mistakes are, for the most part, forgivable and relatively easy to overlook. Truly, this is fanfiction at its best, and I absolutely adored this story. If the author decided to write a Ron/Hermione or George/Angelina story, I'd be a happy camper indeed! (Hint, hint, nudge, nudge.)

Happy reading, writing, & reviewing!

-Kari

No comments:

Post a Comment